Rolph Eric van der HOEVEN
Date of birth 23 June 1948
Marital status: Married, two children
Residence: Collex Bossy, Switzerland
1966-69 University of Amsterdam: B.Sc. in Econometrics
1970-74 University of Amsterdam: M.Sc. in Econometrics (Drs.)
1987 Free University of Amsterdam: Ph.D. in Development Economics
(Thesis: Planning for Basic Needs in Kenya: A Basic Needs Simulation Model)
Dutch, English, German, French
2007-present Professor of Employment and Development Economics, ISS, The Hague
2005- June 2008 Director, Policy Coherence Group, Integration Department, ILO, Geneva
- Management of the group.
- Coordinating Activities in on Decent Work
- Preparing major documents for ILO on International Economic and Financial policies
- Representing the ILO at intergovernmental, interagency and expert group meetings.
- Organising consultations, forums and technical meetings.
- Developing research programme and networking with global research institutes.
2002-05 Manager, Technical Secretariat, World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalization,(Established by the ILO) Geneva
- Management responsibility of technical secretariat and advice to top level management.
- Preparing major documents for the Commission.
- Representing the Secretariat at intergovernmental, interagency and expert group meetings.
- Organising technical meetings.
- Networking with global research institutes.
1999-01 Chief, Macroeconomic and Development Policies Group, Employment Sector, ILO, Geneva
- Coordinate research on macroeconomic policies, employment, income distribution and poverty.
- Representing the Employment Sector in internal task forces and coordinating bodies
- Liaising with the field structure on macroeconomic and employment policies.
- Liaising with World Bank, IMF and various UN organizations on macroeconomic policies, poverty, and employment as well as providing inputs to global events.
- Networking with UNU, WIDER and other global research institutes
1997-99 Manager, Action Programme on Structural Adjustment, ILO, Geneva
- Coordinating research employment planning, structural adjustment and social consensus building.
- Coordinating field activities on structural adjustment and social consensus building.
- Liaising with the World Bank, IMF and UN on structural adjustment social consensus building.
- Organizing inter-agency missions and meetings on employment and structural adjustment.
- Adviser to the UN Staff College on economic development issues.
1994-96 Head, Employment and Policy Unit, ILO, Geneva.
- Coordinating research on employment planning, poverty and structural adjustment.
- Coordination of ILO field activities on employment planning.
- Organizing inter-agency missions and meetings on employment, poverty and economic reform.
- Liaising with donor agencies on financing projects on employment and structural adjustment.
- Promotion of ILO concerns on employment planning and structural adjustment.
- Coordinating country activities for follow-up to the World Summit for Social Development
1991-94 Manager, Interdepartmental Project on Structural Adjustment, ILO Geneva.
- Managing Interdepartmental Project on Structural Adjustment.
- Promotion of ILO concerns on adjustment and employment.
- Coordination of work on structural adjustment.
- Setting up research and technical advisory programme role of the public sector and adjustment.
- Inter-agency structural adjustment missions.
- Preparation for 2nd High-Level Meeting on Structural Adjustment and Employment.
- Advisor of the JCGP Sub-Group on Adjustment.
- Member of the External Advisory Board of World Bank SDA activities.
1988-91 Economic Advisor, UNICEF, New York.
- Coordination of adjustment activities.
- Responsible for research on adjustment.
- Organisation of country assessment missions on adjustment.
- Organisation of seminars and training programmes on adjustment.
- Acting for Deputy Director, UNICEF on economic and adjustment issues.
- Chairperson of the JCGP Sub-Group on Adjustment.
- Member of the External Advisory Board of World Bank SDA Activities.
1982-88 Senior Research Economist, World Employment Programme, ILO, Geneva.
- Management of the project on simulation models on basic needs.
- Review and forward planning of World Employment Programme.
- Contributions to ILO World Labour Reports.
- Setting up new research programme on the socioeconomic effects of stabilisation policies.
- Organisation of Tripartite High-Level Meeting on Employment and Adjustment.
1978-82 Research Economist at World Employment Programme, ILO, Geneva.
- Member of research team constructing macroeconomic models to evaluate basic needs policies, responsible for constructing socio economic simulation models in India and Kenya.
- Research on income distribution and basic needs in general.
- Assisted in the preparation of the 1979 follow-up of the World Employment Conference.
1976-78 Team member of Jobs and Skills Programme for Africa, ILO, Addis Ababa.
- Participation in final editing of JASPA reports to Zambia and Swaziland.
- Preparation participation employment advisory missions to Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone
- Participating in final drafting of reports Tanzania, Niger Sierra Leone
- Research on income inequality and basic needs in Africa.
1974-76 Associate Expert, ILO Area Office, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Assistant to the Director of the Office, administration of projects, scholarships, organisation of seminars, negotiations with UNDP.
- Research on income distribution in Zambia.
- Preparation and participation in ILO Employment advisory mission to Zambia and Swaziland, responsible for sections on incomes policy, basic needs and macroeconomic projections.
1972-73 Research Officer, “Stichting Economisch Onderzoek”, University of Amsterdam.
- Estimation long-term budget for the Department of Education of the Municipality of Amsterdam.
- Development of computer model assessing degree of sufficiency of social expenditure by municipalities in the Netherlands.