Skip to the content
2007-present Â Professor of Employment and Development Economics, ISS, The Hague (emeritus since 2015)
- Â Member of the UN Committee for Development PolicyÂ
- Member of the Development Cooperation Committee Â (AIV-COS), Dutch Government,Â
- Board of Trustees KNCV Tuberculosis Fund, the HagueÂ
- Advisor various international research programs
- Visiting Professor:Â UNU graduate summer courseÂ (till 2015)
- Board member: INCLUDE, IDEAS, Global Social Policy Review, Global Business Review
2005- June 2008Â Director, Policy Coherence Group, Integration Department, ILO, Geneva
- Management of the group
- Coordinating Activities in on Decent Work
- Preparing major documents for ILO on International Economic and Financial policies
- Representing the ILO at intergovernmental, interagency and expert group meetings
- Organising consultations, forums and technical meetings
- Developing and managing research programmes and networking with global research institutes
2002-05 Â Manager, Technical Secretariat, World Commission on the Social Dimension ofÂ Globalisation (Established by the ILO), Geneva
- Management responsibility of technical secretariat and advice to top level management
- Preparing major documents for the Commission
- Representing the Secretariat at intergovernmental, interagency and expert group meetings
- Organising technical meetings
- Networking with global research institutes
1999-01Â Chief, Macroeconomic and Development Policies Group, Employment Sector, ILO, Geneva
- Coordinate research on macroeconomic policies, employment, income distribution and poverty
- Representing the Employment Sector in internal task forces and coordinating bodies
- Liaising with the field structure on macroeconomic and employment policies
- Liaising with World Bank, IMF and various other UN organizations on macroeconomic policies, poverty, and employment as well as providing inputs to global events
- Networking with UNU-WIDER and other global research institutes
1997-99Â Manager, Action Programme on Structural Adjustment, ILO, Geneva
- Coordinating research employment planning, structural adjustment and social consensus building
- Coordinating field activities on structural adjustment and social consensus building
- Liaising with the World Bank, IMF and other UN organisations on structural adjustment social consensus building
- Organizing inter-agency missions and meetings on employment and structural adjustment
- Adviser to the UN Staff College on economic development issues
1994-96 Head, Employment and Policy Unit, ILO, Geneva.
- Coordinating research on employment planning, poverty and structural adjustment
- Coordination of ILO field activities on employment planning.
- Organizing inter-agency missions and meetings on employment, poverty and economic reform
- Liaising with donor agencies on financing projects on employment and structural adjustment
- Promotion of ILO concerns on employment planning and structural adjustment
- Coordinating country activities for follow-up to the World Summit for Social Development
1991-94Â Manager, Interdepartmental Project on Structural Adjustment, ILO Geneva.
- Managing Interdepartmental Project on Structural Adjustment
- Promotion of ILO concerns on adjustment and employment
- Coordination of ILO work on structural adjustment
- Setting up research and technical advisory programme role of the public sector and adjustment
- Inter-agency structural adjustment missions
- Preparation for 2nd High-Level Meeting on Structural Adjustment and Employment
- Advisor to the JCGP Sub-Group on Adjustment
- Member of the External Advisory Board of World Bank SDA activities
1988-91Â Chief Economist, UNICEF, New York.
- Coordination of adjustment activities
- Responsible for research on adjustment
- Organisation of country assessment missions on adjustment
- Organisation of seminars and training programmes on adjustment
- Acting for Deputy Director, UNICEF on economic and adjustment issues
- Chairperson of the JCGP Sub-Group on Adjustment
- Member of the External Advisory Board of World Bank SDA Activities
1982-88Â Senior Research Economist, World Employment Programme, ILO, Geneva.
- Management of the project on simulation models on basic needs
- Review and forward planning of World Employment Programme
- Contributions to ILO World Labour Reports
- Setting up new research programme on the socioeconomic effects of stabilisation policies
- Organisation of Tripartite High-Level Meeting on Employment and Adjustment
1978-82 Â Research Economist at World Employment Programme, ILO, Geneva.
- Member of research team constructing macroeconomic models to evaluate basic needs policies, responsible for constructing socio economic simulation models in India and Kenya
- Research on income distribution and basic needs in general
- Â Preparation of the 1979 follow-up of the World Employment Conference
1976-78Â Team member of Jobs and Skills Programme for Africa, ILO, Addis Ababa.
- Participation in final editing of JASPA reports to Zambia and Swaziland
- Preparation and participation employment advisory missions to Tanzania, Niger, Sierra Leone
- Participating in final drafting of reports Tanzania, Niger Sierra Leone
- Research on income inequality and basic needs in Africa
1974-76Â Associate Expert, ILO Area Office, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Assistant to the Director of the Office, administration of projects, scholarships, organisation of seminars, negotiations with UNDP
- Research on income distribution in Zambia
- Preparation and participation in ILO Employment advisory mission to Zambia and Swaziland, responsible for sections on incomes policy, basic needs and macroeconomic projections.
1972-73 Â Research Officer, “Stichting Economisch Onderzoek”, University of Amsterdam.
- Estimation long-term budget for the Department of Education of the Municipality of Amsterdam
- Development of computer model assessing degree of sufficiency of social expenditure by municipalities in the Netherlands